Saturday, October 29, 2005

Day 142 - Taupo, New Zealand

Day 142 – 28th October 2005 +12:00 GMT Total Miles 27508

Got up at 7:30am and by 8:30am was on the road heading to the mountains. Jill, Reece, myself and Susan (one of the Irish girls we had meet last night) all went to Whakapapa this is ski resort. We drove up the mountain as far as we could go, which was around 4,000ft and then parked and Reece, Susan and I decided we would all spend the day Snow Boarding.

Mount Ruapehu

Mount Ruapehu

Mount Ruapehu

We hired the equipment and paid for a lesson by the time we had all changed into our gear and collected the equipment we needed and gone up the 2 chair lifts to the top it was almost 12pm. So we sat in the café at the top of the mountain in the snow now at 7,000ft drinking hot chocolate waiting for our 12:30pm lesson.

Us all in the cafe

At 12:30pm we all went to the meeting point for the lesson and since I had snow boarded once before ( a indoor session at Milton Keynes Snow Dome) we were split into two groups.

Me and my Snowboard

I had a run on the beginners slope and was told I was too good for that so was taken onto the T-bar ski lift higher up the mountain to a better ski run. After about 20 minutes I was actually surprising myself and snow boarding really well making sharp turns on steep gradiants.

Me Snowboarding

Me Snowboarding

The Lesson was 90 minutes and then I went to find Jill in the café having a beer. I had a drink a quick rest then went to find Reece and Susan on the beginners slope. I had a few runs on the beginners slope then went back in for a long rest with Jill.

At the top of Mount Ruapehu

At the top of Mount Ruapehu

After a rest I went back out for 30 minutes before they called last run on the mountain and we all had to get the chair lifts down and return our equipment.

Jill on Mount Ruapehu

It had been a great day, but I had not taken my own advice and did not put any sun block on. Even though it was overcast and near freezing I still ended up having a face that resembled a lobster I was sun burnt badly.

View on the way home

I then drove us all back to the hostel and we got back around 6pm.

Jill and Susan

Jill and I cracked open a bottle of wine and sat out and had a drink before getting an early night.


Post a Comment

<< Home

DSL Service Provider