Monday, February 13, 2006

Day 239 – 249 - Gravesend - Stonehouse, Scotland

Day 239 – 249 2nd – 12th February 2006 GMT Total Miles 47074

Took a long drive from Gravesend up to Macclesfield to see my old mate Matt, Spent the night at matt’s chatting watching TV and eating curry and drinking red wine. Always a good night when I see Matt. In the morning we got back on the road and made the final stretch up to Scotland. Arrived at Jill’s parents just outside Glagow at just before 3pm. In the evening it was Jill’s brother Scot’s housewarming party, so about 20 people turned up and we spent the night playing pool and darts in his bar and having a few drinks. We has a relaxing week and made a trip into Glasgow to see Jill’s friend Angela, On the Wednesday we went for a day out and drove across the country to Turnberry which is on the sea, it is also famous for it’s magnificent golf course and hotel. The Golf Course has been used for the British Open and is also the home of Colin Montgomery’s golf school. We carried on driving around the coast until we found a quiet spot by the harbour and we sat in the car in true british style and ate sandwiches and drank from a flask of tea. It was freezing outside. So we carried on around the coast until we reached Ayr, now this is the birth place of the famous poet Rabbie Burns, so a trip to see the cottage he was born in was necessary. We then walked down the road to the Brig O’Doon which is a famous bridge from one of his poems. We then drove into Ayr city centre and had a walk around the shops before returning back to Stonehouse for the evening. On the Friday we had arranged a poker game, so several of scot’s friends came over and we had a few drinks and spent the night playing away. Gordon came out victorious after he got lucky on the river. Rebbeca had been a star all week as we had looked after her several times during the week. Jill and I had read to her several times and continued the process of teaching her to spell and constantly drawing circles for her which she insisted constantly on us doing. On Sunday morning we were all packed up and loaded up the car, Jill’s parents Ann and Jim were coming back down to Gravesend with us, for a bit of a break and too have a look around. We left just before 9am and had a long six and half hour journey through Scotland and down to the South of England. When we got there we all went to see my Grandma as she had been alone all weekend.


Post a Comment

<< Home

DSL Service Provider